Sterling Asset Management & Trustees Limited is an end to end assets mangers and trust services providers with presence in three locations which cut across Lagos, Portharcourt and Abuja. An award winner of the Global Credit Rating (GCR) for outlook stability in the Nigerian Financial service sector for three years consecutively 2013, 2014 & 2015. Sterling Assets is a customer centric financial service firm and our goal is to exceed clients’ expectation whilst adding value to our employees who helps in achieving this objective.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
To direct and lead the planning and conduct of Technical, operational, financial and compliance audits at Sterling Asset with selected policies, procedures and regulations to evaluate and increase efficiency and/or effectiveness of the internal audit control systems to promote good corporate governance towards achieving SAMTL’s mission and vision.
Internal Audit and Continuous Improvement
- Design, implement, test and modify controls in specific organisation systems, to provide assurance of operational and technical efficiency at the corporate level.
- Monitors the implementation of the Internal Audit programmes to ascertain and report on degree of compliance with company approved policies and operating procedures, laws, regulations and code of good business practices
- Assesses the design and operating effectiveness of established business control policies, processes and procedures and communicates identified weaknesses to management with appropriate improvement solutions
- Liaises with the Finance Department and Organisation’s statutory auditors to agree scope and information requirements for the successful conduct of the annual statutory audit programmes
- Identify instances of over and under control and provide management with a clear articulation of residual risks where existing controls are inadequate.
- Participate in various committees or task forces geared to policy/procedure development and operational improvements.
Risk Management and Compliance
- Continuously reviews/assesses the business and operational risks facing Organisation in order to proactively establish appropriate mitigating
- Conducts follow up reviews and resolves control issues arising from internal and external audit exercises.
- Supervises and coordinates year-end inventory count and periodic fixed asset verification exercises
- Provide an objective and evidence based annual opinion on the adequacy and effectiveness of all aspects of SAMTL’s governance, risk management and internal control to facilitate drafting of the annual governance report.
- Promote the highest standards of ethics and standards across the organisation based on the principles of integrity, objectivity, competence and confidentiality.
- Review the adequacy of key corporate arrangements including such as risk strategy, risk register, anti-fraud and corruption strategy, corporate plan.
- Review significant partnership arrangements and major services provided by third parties and the controls in place to promote and protect SAMTL’s interests. Assess whether lines of responsibility and assurance are clear.
Systems and Policy Development
- Review and make a judgement on the whole range of controls including those relating to achieving value for money and the prevention and detection of fraud and corruption.
- Provide advice on proposed developments such as major new systems and proposed initiatives to help ensure risks are properly identified and evaluated and appropriate controls built in.
- Establish logical and systematic methods of identifying, analysing, evaluating, treating, monitoring and communicating the risks associated with SAMTL activities, functions or processes in a way that will enable the organisation to minimise losses and maximise opportunities.
Leadership and Strategic Management
- Lead the development and implementation of an internal risk based audit strategy and annual plan for the group.
- Plan and conduct audits to assess controls, operational and technical efficiencies and compliance with selected policies, procedures and regulations.
- Champion best practice in governance, objectively assess the adequacy of governance systems and management of existing risks, comment on responses to emerging risks and propose new developments.
- Develop SAMTL’s risk management framework and monitor the risk maturity (including SAMTL’s own assessment) and ensure this is reflected in the strategy
- Provide leadership to the department staff and Supervise and manage their performance and development in line with the Organization’s goals, objectives, policies and regulations.
- Develop a departmental annual work plan and financial budget and monitor their implementation in line with the Business plan.
Key performance measures
- Risks are appropriately identified and managed;
- Interaction with the various governance groups occurs as needed;
- Significant financial, managerial and operating information is accurate, reliable and timely;
- Employees’ actions are in compliance with policies, standards and procedures;
- Resources are acquired economically, used efficiently and adequately protected;
- Programmes, plans and objectives are achieved;
- Quality and continuous improvement measures are fostered in the risk management, control and governance processes;
- Significant legislative or regulatory issues impacting the company are recognised and addressed appropriately.
Education & Experience
- Minimum of seven (7) years relevant experience, 4 of which must have involved responsibility for managing internal control and/or audit in a similar company or other business within financial service industry.
- Minimum of Bachelor's Degree/HND in Accounting or a Finance related discipline
- MBA or Master’s degree in a related discipline is an advantage
- Relevant professional certifications e.g. Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN), Certified Internal Auditor(CIA), Association of Certified & Chartered Accountants (ACCA) and/or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
Key Skills and Competencies
- Business process and control analysis
- Enterprise risk management
- Risk management
- Financial Reporting
- Audit standards and regulatory guidelines
- Compliance and investigation skills
- Communication (Verbal and Written)
- Ability to lead teams
- Professional scepticism
- Relationship management
- Negotiation skills
- Attention to detail
Only shortlisted applicants will be contactedApplication Closing Date:
This vacancy is a full time position.